Recyclables will be collected twice monthly on the same day as your regular household waste collection.
If your household waste is collected on…
then your recycling material is collected on the…
1st and 3rd Monday of each month
1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month
2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month
2nd and 4th Thursday of each month
Recycling is made easy utilizing the single-stream method. All acceptable recyclables will be collected into one container. No sorting! The recyclables will be transported to the Pratt Industries Materials Recovery Facility (MRF), where they will be sorted, sold to various vendors, and eventually manufactured into new products.
Every item recycled helps to conserve our natural resources, saves on landfill space, and makes a definite environmental impact. The City is committed to providing effective solid waste management through state-of-the-art recycling methods to ensure a safe, clean, and environmentally healthy community.
Below you'll find the answers to frequently asked questions about this new recycling program. For further information, call 311.
Recycling Frequently Asked Questions
What is single-stream recycling?
Single-stream recycling is a recycling process in which recyclable materials are stored in one recycling cart, with no sorting required by the individual recycler.
What materials can I place in my recycling cart?
· Plastic Bottles and Jugs - #1 thru #7 such as soda, juice and water bottles, or detergent and shampoo bottles (emptied, rinsed, and without tops or lids).
· Tin, steel, and bi-metal used food cans (emptied of food residue and rinsed).
· Aluminum beverage cans (rinsed).
· Glass bottles and jars (clear and colored; emptied, rinsed, without caps or tops).
· Paper items such as newspapers and inserts, junk mail, magazines, catalogs, phone books, paper back books, office paper, white and colored paper (without wax coating; wet paper products will not be accepted and are considered as contamination).
· Cardboard boxes (flattened), paperboard, brown bags (wet and damp items will not be accepted and are considered as contamination).
What items are prohibited?
· No household waste, food waste, or food-tainted items.
· No yard waste or dry trash.
· No plastic bags; styrofoam cups, containers, or packaging.
· No hazardous, automotive, or electrical parts or materials.
· No building and construction materials.
· No medical waste or pharmaceuticals.
· No wet or damp cardboard, pasteboard, or paper products.
Can I put grass clippings and tree limbs into my recycling cart?
No, grass clippings, tree limbs, shrubbery and brush are considered yard waste and should not be placed into the recycling cart.
What happens to the recyclable materials once they are collected?
Once the recyclables are collected by the Sanitation Department they will be taken to a Materials Recovery Facility (MRF).
What happens at the MRF?
The MRF uses a system of sorting mechanisms, which divides the recyclables into different categories. After separation, they are then sold to various markets and manufactured into recycled products.
How do I get signed up for curbside recycling?
If you live within the City of Savannah and you have an active utility service account with the City (other than commercial apartments) you are automatically a part of the curbside program and will receive a yellow and black City-issued roll-out recycling cart. Other residents should contact the Sanitation Bureau for recycling assistance.
What is the size of the cart I will be using for curbside recycling?
You will be issued a 96-gallon black and yellow cart. The cart will arrive with educational materials and will include in-molded instructions on the lid and side of the cart.
How often will my recycling be picked up?
Your recycling will be collected twice monthly on the same day as your household waste collection. Your cart should be placed at the curb by 7:00 AM on the day of collection and removed from the curb by 7:00 PM after collection. Individuals failing to remove their cart will be charged $7.00 which will be added to their water utility bill for each incident when City personnel remove the cart from the curb.
Should I put recyclables into bags in the single-stream cart?
Do not place your recyclables into bags before placing them in the cart.
What if I have an overflow of recyclables?
Do not place excess recyclables outside of your recycling cart. If you have an overflow of recyclables you may request an additional recycling cart for a one-time non-refundable fee of $50.00, or you may take your recyclables to one of our drop-off sites.
What do I need to do before placing recyclables in the recycling cart?
· Discard lids and tops ( they are not recyclable).
· Remove food residue from all cans, bottles, jugs, etc.
· Rinse all cans, bottles, jugs, etc.
· Flatten all cardboard boxes.
I live in an apartment building that is serviced by a City dumpster/container. How can I participate in the recycling program?
Contact the of Savannah at 311 for recycling assistance.